Below are instructions to create a GeoJSON based on an AOI (area of interest)
There are various applications you can use to create a GeoJSON file, but the one we are using in this example is geojson.io which is a free web based tool you can use to generate GeoJSON files as well as other formats.
Follow the instructions below to create your own geojson file:
- Launch geojson.io from http://geojson.io/#map=2/20.0/0.0
- Navigate to your AOI
- Click on the type of shape you wish to draw in the toolbar. You can select line, rectangle, polygon, or point. In most instances polygon gives you the most control
- I will be using a polygon in this instance. Draw your AOI by clicking desired points on the map to outline your AOI. Once you complete the polygon it will be shaded and the associated JSON will be generated in the output area to the left.
- To save your AOI as a GeoJSON file click on Save from the menu bar and select GeoJSON
- You have now created a GeoJSON file that you can import into other applications such as Planet Explorer